Virtual Studios from RT Software
VR and Virtual Studios are a core competency for us, and we can pass the technology and capabilities on to you. This is based on more than 15 years’ experience of elections, Eurovisions and other specials, at probably the world’s most demanding broadcaster.
HD, trackerless, multiple cameras, encoded cameras, streaming & live video in-scene and complex animations within the set are all supported by and made possible with tOG.
tOG-VR adds a trackerless (billboarding) VR capability to tOG-3D Pro, along with a software matte keyer that compliments the DVS hardware linear keyer.
Additional modules provide support for camera tracking systems (Vinten, Mo-Sys, Blue-I et al).
Tracked v’s Trackerless VR
For many, trackerless – or more accurately Billboarded – VR is considered the entry point to virtual studios. Our solution supports four SDI inputs to a single PC (typically 3 cameras and one VT for use in the scene), so it is an extremely low cost VR solution. It is even possible to render the foreground overlays and tickers on the same PC! The quality of our rendering, the number of animations and video in scene and the quality of our software keyer sets our solution apart.
Purists would argue encoded heads and a rendering PC per camera is the way to go and if the budget is there, and we agree.
Retro Fitted Encoders – One of our VR partners, Mo-Sys, can fit encoders to pretty much anything. So tracks, existing heads including remote control heads and existing cranes can be upgraded for use in VR.
One Off Specials – Short Term Hire
VR and Virtual Studios add huge value to high profile broadcasts such as elections, major sporting events and other specials. As part of RTSW’s mission to make the highest quality graphics available to all, we offer a short term rental option on rendering systems and camera tracking equipment, even on keyers and delays. All rental options are backed up by RTSW specialists with many years’ experience on big specials.
- Keyers. We include high quality software matte and chroma keyers, along with hardware and software linear keyers.
- Lens Calibration tool. Good quality VR demands that the rendering engine’s “virtual camera” mimics exactly the behaviour and imperfections of the studio lens. We include a quick and easy software tool for the studio engineer to do just that.
- GAP Alignment tool. Accurately aligning your virtual computer generated world with the real world is another VR must. Our GAP tool needs as few as 3 known points on the studio floor to guarantee perfect marrying of the real and virtual worlds.
- No tracking – It is, of course, possible to use VR with static camera(s). For this you would just need a regular tOG-3D licence. We’ll even throw in the Lens Calibration and GAP tools for free!
- No tracking, but with Billboarding – At first pass, this stunning technique would leave you convinced there is a lot of expensive camera tracking equipment in use. But the reality is it’s just a static locked-off camera with talent in front of a blue screen. All the clever stuff is handled in tOG. Download our Guide to VR to find out how.
- Encoded ptz heads – These robust and relatively low cost items are the backbone of quality VR.
- Cranes – VR really comes together when the camera starts to track in 3d space, and cranes probably deliver the best value for money if this is the effect you need.
- Full freedom of movement – The utopia of VR, but at a cost of course. We support all open systems including Blue-i, free-d and many others. The Vinten free-d system even gives roll on the camera – meaning you can go hand held!