RT Software is a developer and provider of Real Time graphics products to the broadcast graphics industry. Founded by former BBC developers in 2003, we have over 20 years experience in the broadcast industry. We are involved in leading edge graphics development with main stream broadcasters from around the world. Using in house developed software we provide high end graphics systems, broadcast video at 4k, HD, Stereoscopic 3D, Image analysis, Virtual and Augmented reality, Image Tracking, MPEG streaming and more for all aspects of Broadcast delivery. We utilise advanced specification PC technology coupled with the latest GPU hardware.
The role of software developer at RTSW covers a wide area of software technologies. RT are mainly involved in the design and development of real time 3D OpenGL products, but ancillary to this are such disparate technologies as MultiThreading, Gui Design, SQL/Database, Network and Serial communications, Image analysis, Baseband video, video streaming, web technologies (HTML5, WebM etc), scripting, touch technology, tablet, mobile and so on.
We are cross platform, with products running on Windows, macOS and Linux. Our core render engine and Sports Analysis products are written in c++, whilst our front ends are web based products using a
combination of modern web technologies.
The successful candidate will work with the existing development teams to design and build new products as well as create new features for existing products. You will be responsible for part or all of the development cycle from inception through to delivery and testing.
Work patterns follow government guidelines where appropriate. We currently operate at least one day a week from the office but if people want to work more they can. This does mean that you will need to be self motivated and able to collaborate using team tools such as Slack/Teams/Google Docs/Trello etc
The Broadcast industry is a ‘Live’ environment. As such deadlines are immovable. You need to be disciplined, have an attention to detail and be agile under pressure. You should be able to work alone or within a team and willing to learn new skills.
It helps if you have a genuine interest in all technical aspects of broadcast and media. You will be from a numerate background. Any experience or knowledge with broadcast, graphics, Augmented reality etc would be an advantage.
As well as development work, you will also be involved in liaising with the support department to solve on site technical issues and resolve bugs remotely, through site visits or at desk.
The Job will involve some travel world wide as well as in the UK.
Responsible to: Development Manager
Support/Field Service/Sales team to ensure smooth handover of software
Development for bug fixing and enhancements/feature requests
Support/Graphics/ team and customers for bug fixing and enhancements/feature
Main Tasks of Job
● Able to realize product specification and create products/features against a realistic timeline.
● Apply good software methodologies and techniques to design and develop software for projects within the development team
● Provide training internally and externally on newly developed technologies and software
● Have an understanding of the industry RTSoftware operates in, its competitors products and how their products compare to RTSoftware’s.
● Use this knowledge to help ensure RTSoftware’s products remain relevant and leading edge.
● To carry out development work against an agreed schedule
● To present a professional image to customers at all times in appearance, attitude and work.
● Research new technologies to enable RTSoftware to maintain it’s leading edge within its industry
● Provide support to Sales team for pre sales technical support
● Inform the relevant staff/departments when problems arise that are likely to cause immediate field related issues or when they are likely to affect project time-scales.
● Attend regular Company meetings
● Provide reasonable out of hours on-site support under RTSoftware’s general employment rules.
● Provide scheduled out of hours telephone support coverage as part of the companies out of hours support rota
At least Degree level in a numerate discipline. Ideally involving computer science.
We have a set of ‘core’ skill requirements which you MUST possess and then a set of additional skills that you should have some experience at a professional level.
● Both good verbal and written skills are essential for working in a small team, documenting work and in providing support internally and externally
● Experience of working to and setting of deadlines
● FullStack development (See Below)
● Experience in C++ on either Windows, Linux or macOS
● Knowledge of multi threaded models using mutexing/semaphoring etc
● Structured Developement environment such as VisualStudio/VisualStudioCode IDE
● HTML5 rendering
● Network sockets TCP/IP Protocols UDP
● Socket implementation
● Protocol Implementation
● User Interface Design experience